The festive season should be about family and friends and you shouldn’t have to worry about theft and vandals. Even so, it is quite the common problem for many households during this time of the year. Crime often goes up during the festive season in Botswana, as well as most other areas. You can protect your home and your family from it by making a few upgrades and modifications to your home now.
Get the Proper Type of Homeowner’s Insurance
Even as you take every step toward improving your home’s safety, there will still be some level of risk present during this time of the year. Your first step is to look at your existing homeowner’s insurance policy and find out if it provides enough protection to meet your needs. There are two major components of this type of insurance you need to have to remain safe:
Homeowners’ Insurance: This particular type of insurance coverage protects the structure of your house. With this type of coverage, you gain protection from risks such as fire and water damage. Additional options may include accidental demolition, or other types of risks to the structure itself.
Household Contents Insurance: This type of cover provides you with security over the contents, or assets, you own. These are items within your home such as your household appliances and personal items. Protect against theft or damage to these items.
At this time of the year, it is important to reassess your current insurance coverage and determine if you have enough protection, or if you need additional coverage. Also, look closely at the policy to be sure it covers all components of your home, including high value belongings.
How to Keep Your Home Safe
With your insurance in place, you can rest easy knowing your property is protected should someone cause damage. It’s also important to take every step possible to reduce risks of these incidents occurring. These tips can help you to do that:
- Install smoke detectors in your home, especially near sleeping areas to ward against fire and smoke damage.
- Install burglar bars on doors and windows. Ensure your windows and doors are locked at all times even if you are at home.
- Install alarm systems for the house itself. The most modern systems can help you protect your home and ward off would-be thieves.
- Add electric fencing to your compound wall to discourage theft.
- Keep the property clean and tidy to avoid the risk of fire damage.
- Install an intercom system so that no one enters your property without first gaining access from you directly.
- If you should have an incident of theft, or potentially fire or other damage, contact your insurance carrier right away.
- Be sure to file a police report as soon as you notice the damage or the illegal entry. This will help the insurance company process your claim as well.
Most importantly, don’t fight back against an intruder. Your belongings are not more valuable than your life. And, your insurance is likely to provide you with the compensation you need to overcome this loss.
Every home is at a higher risk during the festive season, but you do not have to be a victim. Often times, thieves seek out the easiest target rather than a home that is well protected and guarded.